Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Defiant Joy... or loathing.

Not that I loathe joy... I certainly don't. How could anyone 'loathe' joy? I do however loathe Defiant Joy: The Remarkable Life & Impact of G.K. Chesterton. I do not loathe Chesterton either. (This is a new thing I'm trying- for all of my photography friends out there. I love a good book- when I have the time to. I've recently begun reviewing books for Booksneeze.com- to keep my sanity between the editing... or in this case... not keep my sanity!)

Let me be clear- upon choosing this book (Defiant Joy: The Remarkable Life & Impact of G.K. Chesterton by Kevin Belmonte, I do not loathe Belmonte, either. Crystal?) I thought it would be at the least, witty. Which it was not. And to quote Chesterton himself (speaking on Mark Twain's wit) But wit is a sword; it is meant to make people feel the point as well as see it. However, I just feel a bit robbed. Don't get me wrong- the excerpts from Chesterton's books are absolutely lovely. So well worded, and poignantly laid out. But who asked this Kevin guy to write such a book? No offense. His words pale in comparison- especially with Chesterton's right there on the page next to them (Yes, I understand that mine do, too.)! And seem to go in circles, on and on, about how influential his (Chesterton's) words were, and the way he lived out his life to be winsome. I got it within the prologue. I really don't think that 277 pages were necessary. Maybe he could have just written a little bit on the dust cover of one of Chesterton's books... now I'm just ranting. I think my point is clear.

I wouldn't recommend this book. Unless you like to feel your eyes shriveling into raisins, if you're sadistic like that. One good thing came out of this experience- I now know of a G.K. Chesterton- and I'm going to read his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment